The Fredericton Golf Club had its origin in 1916 when a group of local businessmen incorporated Fredericton Golf Lands Ltd. and purchased several properties to establish a nine hole course on the outskirts of the city. A five hole course and a small club house were completed that fall.
Additional land was purchased in 1919 and the course expanded to nine holes, a requirement if the club was to become a member of the Royal Canadian Golf Association. The early years presented many challenges as construction and operational expenses regularly exceeded the revenues generated by dues. On more than one occasion members were asked to contribute financially to offset annual deficits.
In 1948-49 work was begun on the design and construction of a second nine holes which were completed in 1952. Once again, members were instrumental in seeing the project through to fruition. In the ensuing years, improvements were carried out on the original nine holes.
In 1998, a long-awaited project to design and build three new holes got underway. These were opened for play in 2001, and a fairway irrigation system for the whole course was completed at the same time. A new practice facility was added in 2002 utilizing holes near the club house which had been taken out of play.
The original club house built in 1916 was replaced by a larger one in 1930, and re-built again in 1950. The present club house was constructed in 1980 when the golf club amalgamated with the Fredericton Curling Club to form the Country Club of Fredericton. The Country Club ceased to exist in 1984 and a new entity, the Fredericton Golf and Curling Club, took over operations. Curling is no longer part of the Club’s activities.
The Fredericton Golf Club has hosted numerous Maritime, New Brunswick, and Canadian championships.
(With thanks to R. H. B. McLaughlin, author of A Century of Golf-Fredericton Golf Club.)
To learn more about our 100th-anniversary click here.
To learn more about our Wall of Fame click here.